The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Report by: Dani
This story takes place near a city called Silver City, a long time ago.
- Henry – He is the oldest, around 12 or 13 years old. He works for Dr. Moore. He does house work and yard work, like weeding the garden. He mows the lawn and cleans the garage to earn money. He buys groceries to feed the younger kids.
- Violet – She is 10 years old and likes to sew. She helps Jessie make the food.
- Jessie – She is the second oldest and has lots of responsibilities to take care of Violet and Benny. She makes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. She helps Benny learn how to read.
- Benny – He is a playful 5-year old who is learning how to read. He thinks about having fun and helping Henry build things.
- Watch – He is a playful dog and a watch dog. He likes to help Benny read. He's Jessie's dog and he likes to be with Jessie a lot. He has a great heart for children.
Their parents died and they are running away from their grandpa, because they think he is mean. They found a boxcar in the woods, near Silver City. They worked together to make the boxcar into a happy home.
Their grandfather was looking for the children. He found them at Dr. Moore's house because Violet got sick and Dr. Moore helped her. Then the grandfather took the children to his house. He was really nice and not mean like they thought.
The grandfather's house was big and there were gardens and flowers everywhere. He wanted to surprise the kids and he brought the boxcar to his house and all of their dishes and everything.
I loved the book because they work together and they work so hard taking care of the family. They made their own refrigerator in the brook and fireplace with rocks. The book was a really good book because the Boxcar Children are brave. They deserve lots of money.
I am glad they found their grandfather and that he turned out to be really nice. I'm glad they were safe and had a good watch dog. They didn't have to worry about any creatures.
I would recommend this book to a friend because it's a good adventure book that teaches you how you can survive and work together and love each other even when bad things happen.
I give The Boxcar Children 5 stars! Would you?
Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2015 Dani Speaks, All rights reserved. May not be duplicated.